Last Updated: July 5, 2022
About your Olo Account
Olo Inc. (“Olo”, “we”, “us”, or “our”) provides ordering and payment tools and solutions that, among other things, facilitate our merchant customers to run their businesses and allow consumers to save and access their on-file payment information to securely speed through checkout with any participating merchant (the “Services”). By creating an Olo account which saves consumers’ payment information, preferences, and other details to use across Olo-powered merchant sites and applications (an “Olo Account”), the consumer is offered a seamless ordering experience without password management or manual credit card entry.
Our Services are only intended for and available to individuals in the United States and Canada. We provide additional information for residents of California below.
The short story
- Olo’s goal is to improve your experience with your favorite merchants, including by streamlining the ordering process and providing you with personalized recommendations.
- In order to accomplish this, Olo collects information about you and the orders you place on merchant sites or applications that are powered by Olo. For example, if we learn that you order pasta often, we may recommend Italian restaurants near you. Or, we may ask for your car make and model so restaurants can easily identify your vehicle for pickup orders.
- When you place orders using our Services, you direct us to share your information with other participants in the ecosystem to facilitate your order – including the merchants and business partners that help us provide our Services. These partners include technology providers (such as Amazon Web Services), payment processors (such as Stripe), delivery services (such as DoorDash), and other companies.
- Of course, when you place an order with a merchant, the merchant will also receive your information to fulfill your order, offer recommendations, send you offers and promotions, and for other purposes. Ultimately, Olo does not control how merchants use your data, and they will use your data in accordance with their own privacy policies.
- We believe you should have rights to access and control your personal information. You can delete your information at any time and when you do so, we will disassociate all of your personal information from your Olo Account so Olo can no longer use your personal information for its own business purposes. However, Olo will continue to maintain this information on behalf of merchants with which you’ve placed orders in our capacity as a service provider to such merchants. You can contact those merchants directly to request that they delete your data.
Personal information we collect
When you interact with our Services, we collect certain information from you in connection with your use of the Services. Such information includes personal information collected when you place orders on merchant sites or applications powered by Olo regardless of whether you are logged into your Olo Account. It may also include information collected when you interact with merchants via our Services in connection with their offline business, such as for reservations, or front-of-house and customer engagement operations. We may also combine this data with information that you had previously provided to merchants powered by Olo even before you created your Olo Account.
This information may include:
- Contact and account information that you provide, such as your first and last name, email address, home address, and phone number.
- Payment information you provide to complete your orders on or through the Services. This may include your payment card number, bank account number, and billing address. Payments may be processed by payment service providers, including Stripe. Olo does not store your payment information on our servers, but stores a secure “token” that helps facilitate a secure payment transaction with the merchants. The information you provide to the payment service providers in connection with purchases may be handled in accordance with their own terms of service and privacy policies.
- Reservation, order, and delivery information, including menu items and other details about the orders you place, your delivery address, handoff mode and details (such as your car model and license plate to identify your vehicle for pickup), and your order history.
- Order preferences, such as your store locations, favorite menu items, dietary restrictions, nutritional habits, and food preferences. We may use this information to customize content and provide personalized recommendations to you.
- Precise location information that you choose to share with us via your mobile device settings, using GPS, WiFi, wireless network triangulation or other methods. We may use this information to customize content and provide personalized recommendations to you. Such information may also be used to locate those locations of merchants that are near you or when you “check in” via the Services.
- Feedback or correspondence, such as information you provide when you contact us or a merchant with questions, feedback, product reviews, or otherwise correspond.
- Publicly available information included in your social media accounts, such as your social media account IDs and usernames.
- Usage information, such as information about how you use the Services and interact with us or the merchant, including information associated with any content you upload to the Services or otherwise submit, and information you provide when you use any interactive features of the Services.
- Marketing information, such as your preferences for receiving communications about our or our merchant customers’ products, activities, events, and publications, and details about how you engage with such communications.
Information we obtain from third parties:
- Merchants powered by Olo. We may receive information from merchants powered by Olo with which you interact, including (1) your reservation information, (2) order details and other transaction information, (3) feedback, reviews, survey results, or other correspondence, (4) information you voluntarily submit to such merchants, including your profession, gender, date of birth, or profile picture, and (5) information you share with such merchants via your social media accounts.
- Third-party login information. When you link, connect, or login to the Services with a third party service (e.g., Google, Facebook, or Apple), you may direct the service to send us information such as your registration, friends list, and profile information as controlled by that service or as authorized by you via your privacy settings with that service.
- Other Sources. We may obtain your personal information from other third parties, such as marketing partners, third party analytics services, the merchants’ marketing partners, publicly-available sources and data providers.
Automatic data collection. We, our service providers, and the merchants’ advertising partners or service providers may automatically log information about you, your computer or mobile device, and your interaction over time with our Services, our communications and other online services, such as:
- Device data, such as your computer’s or mobile device’s operating system type and version, manufacturer and model, browser type, screen resolution, RAM and disk size, CPU usage, device type (e.g., phone, tablet), IP address, unique identifiers (including identifiers used for advertising purposes), language settings, mobile device carrier, radio/network information (e.g., WiFi, LTE, 4G), and general location information such as city, state or geographic area.
- Online activity data, such as pages or screens you viewed, how long you spent on a page or screen, browsing history, navigation paths between pages or screens, information about your activity on a page or screen, access times, and duration of access, and whether you have opened our marketing emails or clicked links within them.
We use the following tools for automatic data collection:
- Cookies, which are text files that websites store on a visitor‘s device to uniquely identify the visitor’s browser or to store information or settings in the browser for the purpose of helping you navigate between pages efficiently, remembering your preferences, enabling functionality, helping us understand user activity and patterns, and facilitating online advertising.
- Local storage technologies, like HTML5, that provide cookie-equivalent functionality but can store larger amounts of data, including on your device outside of your browser in connection with specific applications.
- Web beacons, also known as pixel tags or clear GIFs, which are used to demonstrate that a webpage or email was accessed or opened, or that certain content was viewed or clicked.
How we use your personal information
To operate our Services:
- Provide, operate, maintain, secure and improve our Services. For example we may:
- Enable you to create an Olo Account or otherwise use our Services to, among other things, log in across all merchant sites and applications powered by Olo.
- Facilitate orders and payment transactions initiated by you, and have those orders delivered to you.
- Personalize your experience with our merchant customers and their communications with you (including for marketing purposes).
- Consolidate and combine information we collect via your interaction with our Services in connection with providing you with personalized experiences.
- Facilitate communications between you and our merchant customers, including via email, text, SMS, social media platform messages, telephone, or any other medium for which you have provided contact information to such merchant customers. Such communications may include feedback, technical and customer support, marketing communications, and information and updates about your experience and information sharing with your social networks.
- Conduct analytics and provide reporting.
- Use and disclose data as directed by the merchants and enable them to run their business.
- Communicate with you about our Services, including by sending you announcements, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages.
- Understand your needs and interests, and personalize your experience with our Services and our communications. For example, we may provide you with recommendations of merchants powered by Olo in your area or based on your dietary habits.
- Provide support for our Services, and respond to your requests, questions and feedback.
Research and development. Generally, we use the information we collect to identify issues, better tailor our Services, and to test and evaluate, improve, develop, and add on to our Services. For example, we may analyze your usage information and data from your interaction with our Services using tools such as Google Analytics and Mixpanel to help us understand traffic patterns, trends, and potential issues with our Services. We may also create aggregated, de-identified or other anonymous data from personal information we collect. We may use this anonymous data and share it with third parties for our lawful business purposes, including to analyze and improve our services, and promote our business.
Marketing and advertising. We, the merchants you interact with, and our or the merchants’ advertising partners may collect and use your personal information for marketing and advertising purposes, including:
- Direct marketing. We or the merchants may from time-to-time send you direct marketing communications as permitted by law, including, but not limited to, notifying you of special promotions, offers and events via email and in-app notifications. You may opt out of our marketing communications as described in the “Opt out of marketing communications” section below.
Compliance and protection. We may use your personal information to:
- Comply with applicable laws, lawful requests, and legal process, such as to respond to subpoenas or requests from government authorities.
- Protect our, your or others’ rights, privacy, safety or property (including by making and defending legal claims).
- Audit our internal processes for compliance with legal and contractual requirements and internal policies.
- Enforce the terms and conditions that govern our website and our services.
- Prevent, identify, investigate and deter fraudulent, harmful, unauthorized, unethical or illegal activity, including cyberattacks and identity theft.
How we share your personal information
Merchants powered by Olo. The merchants with which you interact, including to fulfill your order and facilitate your transactions with them.
Other third parties as directed by the merchants, including the merchants’ advertising partners, analytics services, data providers, service providers, and other third parties.
Service providers. Companies and individuals that provide services on our behalf or help us operate our services or our business (such as hosting, information technology, payment processing, customer support, email delivery, and website analytics services).
Advertising partners. Third-party advertising companies, including for the interest-based advertising purposes described above.
Authorities and others. Law enforcement, government authorities, and private parties, as we believe in good faith to be necessary or appropriate for the compliance and protection purposes described above.
Business transfers. Acquirers and other relevant participants in business transactions (or negotiations for such transactions) involving a corporate divestiture, merger, consolidation, acquisition, reorganization, sale or other disposition of all or any portion of the business or assets of, or equity interests in, Olo or our affiliates (including, in connection with a bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
Your rights and choices
We believe you should have the right to access and control your personal information. In this section, we describe the rights and choices available to you.
Access or update your information. You may review and update certain personal information in your Olo Account profile by logging into the account. You can also request a copy of the personal information that we have collected about you by reaching out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or here.
Delete your Olo Account. You can delete your Olo Account in your Olo Account settings by logging into the account. If you request that Olo delete your account, Olo will delete your account and you will no longer be able to log into or use that account. However, we may maintain a copy of your information on our servers for record retention and risk management purposes. Additionally, Olo will continue to maintain certain information (such as order and transaction history) on behalf of merchants with which you’ve interacted. You can contact those merchants directly to request that they delete your data.
Delete your information. Please reach out to us at email@example.com or here to request deletion of your information. If you submit a data deletion request, we will (a) delete the copy of your personal information that we maintain on our own behalf; and (b) disassociate all of your personal information from your Olo Account such that Olo can no longer use your personal information for its own purposes. However, Olo will continue to maintain this information on behalf of merchants with which you’ve interacted. You can contact those merchants directly to request that they delete your data.
Opt out of SMS communications. If you provide your phone number through the Services, Olo may send you notifications by SMS, such as to alert you of a problem with your order or to notify you that your delivery is on its way. You may opt out of SMS communications by unlinking your mobile phone number through the Services.
De-Linking SNS. If you decide at any time that you no longer wish to have your SNS account (e.g., Facebook or Twitter) linked to your Olo Account, then you may close your account with the appliable merchant. Please refer to the privacy settings of the SNS to determine how you may adjust our permissions and manage the interactivity between the Services and your social media account or mobile device.
Opt out of location tracking. If you initially consented to the collection of precise location information through our Services, you can stop the collection of this information at any time by changing the preferences on your mobile device. Please note, however, that if you withdraw consent to our collection of precise location information, you may no longer be able to use some features of the Services.
Opt out of marketing communications. If you have signed up to receive marketing communications from us or the merchants, you may opt out of marketing-related email communications by following the opt out or unsubscribe instructions contained in the marketing communications you receive.
Online tracking opt-out. There are a number of ways to opt out of having your online activity and device data collected through our Services, which we have summarized below:
- Blocking cookies in your browser. Most browsers let you remove or reject cookies, including cookies used for interest-based advertising. To do this, follow the instructions in your browser settings. Many browsers accept cookies by default until you change your settings. For more information about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set on your device and how to manage and delete them, visit www.allaboutcookies.org.
- Blocking advertising ID use in your mobile settings. Your mobile device settings may provide functionality to limit use of the advertising ID associated with your mobile device for interest-based advertising purposes.
- Using privacy plug-ins or browsers. You can block our Services from setting cookies used for third party analytics or interest-based ads by using a browser with privacy features, like Brave, or installing browser plugins like Privacy Badger, DuckDuckGo, Ghostery or uBlock Origin, and configuring them to block third party cookies/trackers. For more information about Google Analytics or to prevent the storage and processing of this data (including your IP address) by Google, you can download and install the browser-plug in available at the following link: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout?hl=en.
- Platform opt-outs. The following advertising partners offer opt-out features that let you opt out of use of your information for interest-based advertising:
- Google: https://adssettings.google.com
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/about/ads
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/settings/account/personalization?lang=en
- Advertising industry opt-out tools. You can also use these opt-out options to limit use of your information for interest-based advertising by participating companies:
Note that because these opt-out mechanisms are specific to the device or browser on which they are exercised, you will need to opt out on every browser and device that you use.
Do Not Track. Some Internet browsers may be configured to send “Do Not Track” signals to the online services that you visit. We currently do not respond to “Do Not Track” or similar signals. To find out more about “Do Not Track,” please visit http://www.allaboutdnt.com.
Other sites, mobile applications and services
Our Services may contain links to websites and other online services operated by third parties. In addition, our content may be integrated into web pages or other online services that are not associated with us. These links and integrations are not an endorsement of, or representation that we are affiliated with, any third party. We do not control websites or online services operated by third parties, and we are not responsible for their actions.
We have implemented reasonable administrative, technical and physical measures in an effort to safeguard the personal information in our custody and control against theft, loss and unauthorized access, use, modification and disclosure. We restrict access to personal information on a need-to-know basis to employees and authorized service providers who require access to fulfil their job requirements. However, no security measures are failsafe and we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information.
Our Services are not intended for use by children under 13 years of age. If we learn that we have collected personal information through the Services from a child under 13 without the consent of the child’s parent or guardian as required by law, we will delete it.
You can reach us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or at the following mailing address:
One World Trade Center, 82nd Floor
New York, NY 10007 USA
Additional information for users located in California
This section applies only to California residents. For purposes of this section, “Personal Information” has the meaning given in the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”) but does not include information exempted from the scope of the CCPA. This notice does not apply to individuals who do not have an Olo Account, or with whom Olo engages in the individuals’ capacity as representatives of businesses that may use our Services or provide services to Olo, or any user who visits Olo’s website (www.olo.com), which is designed only for businesses and not for individuals’ use in their personal or household capacity.
Your California privacy rights. The CCPA grants individuals whose information is governed by the CCPA the following rights:
- Access. You can request a copy of the Personal Information that we have collected about you during the past 12 months.
- Deletion. You can ask us to delete the Personal Information that we have collected from you.
- Opt out of sale of your personal information. We do not sell Personal Information. Like many businesses, we use services that display interest-based ads to users around the web. We offer instructions on how to limit online tracking in the “Online tracking opt out” section above. In addition, by placing your orders using our Services, you direct us to share information with brands and business partners.
You are entitled to exercise the rights described above free from discrimination.
Please note that the CCPA limits these rights by, for example, prohibiting us from providing certain sensitive information in response to an access request and limiting the circumstances in which we must comply with a deletion request. If we deny your request, we will communicate our decision to you.
How users in California can exercise their rights
You may exercise your California privacy rights described above as follows:
- Right to information, access and deletion. You can request to exercise your information, access and deletion rights by:
- Emailing us at CCPA@olo.com
- Visiting this form
- Right to opt out of sale of personal information. We offer instructions on how to limit online tracking in the “Online tracking opt-out” section above.
- Identity verification. We will need to confirm your identity and California residency to process your requests to exercise your information, access or deletion rights. We cannot process your request if you do not provide us with sufficient detail to allow us to understand and respond to it.
- Authorized agents. California residents can empower an “authorized agent” to submit requests on their behalf. We will require the authorized agent to have a written authorization confirming that authority.
For more information, please visit our CCPA FAQs.