PRIVACY NOTICE FOR OLO ACCOUNT HOLDERS
Last Updated: February 16th, 2023
About your Olo Account
Olo Inc. (“Olo”, “we”, “us”, or “our”) provides online, on-demand ordering, guest engagement, and payment tools for the restaurant and hospitality industry. Most of the time we act as a service provider to merchants, meaning they, and not us, have the relationship with you.
We do, however, allow consumers to create accounts with us to, among other things, save payment information for faster checkout and store/manage preferences across participating merchants (“Services''). When creating and using your Olo account, this Privacy Notice (“Notice”) applies and explains how we collect, use, and disclose personal information.
Finally, if you are a representative of a business that uses Olo or provides services to Olo, or if you are a visitor to our website (www.olo.com), please click here to view the applicable privacy notice.
We reserve the right to modify this Notice at any time. If we make material changes to this Notice, we will notify you by updating the date of this Notice.
Our Services are only intended for and available to individuals in the United States and Canada. We provide additional information for residents of California below.
The short story
- The goal of our Services is to improve your experience with your favorite merchants, including by streamlining the ordering process and providing you with personalized recommendations.
- To accomplish this, Olo collects information about you and the orders you place on our merchant customers’ sites or applications that are linked to your account.
- When you place orders using our Services, you direct us to disclose your information to the merchant from which you ordered.
- The merchants from which you order use your data in accordance with their own privacy policies.
Personal information we collect
When you interact with our Services, we collect certain information from you. This information may include:
- Contact and account information that you provide, such as your first and last name, email address, home address, and phone number.
- Payment information you provide to complete your orders on or through the Services. This may include your payment card number, bank account number, and billing address. Payments may be processed by payment service providers, such as Stripe. Olo does not store your payment information on our servers, but stores a secure “token” that helps facilitate a secure payment transaction with the merchants. The information you provide to the payment service providers in connection with purchases may be handled in accordance with their own terms of service and privacy policies.
- Reservation, order, and delivery information, including menu items and other details about the orders you place, your delivery address, handoff mode and details (such as your car model and license plate to identify your vehicle for pickup), and your order history.
- Order preferences, such as your store locations, favorite menu items, dietary restrictions, nutritional habits, and food preferences.
- Feedback or correspondence, such as information you provide when you contact us or a merchant with questions, feedback, product reviews, or otherwise correspond.
- Usage information, such as information about how you use the Services and interact with us or the merchant, including information associated with any content you upload to the Services or otherwise submit, and information you provide when you use any interactive features of the Services.
- Marketing information, such as your preferences for receiving communications about our or our merchant customers’ products, activities, events, and publications, and details about how you engage with such communications.
- Other information that you may provide voluntarily.
Information we obtain from third parties:
- Merchants powered by Olo. If you are signed into your Olo account when interacting with merchants powered by Olo, we may receive information including order details and other transaction information.
- Social media information. We may maintain pages on social media platforms, such as Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, and other third-party platforms. When you visit or interact with these pages on those platforms, the platform providers’ privacy policies will apply to your interactions and their collection, use and processing of your personal information. You or the platforms may provide us with information through the platform, and we will treat such information in accordance with this Notice.
- Other Sources. We may obtain your personal information from other third parties, such as marketing partners, third party analytics services, the merchants’ marketing partners, publicly-available sources and data providers.
Automatic data collection. We may automatically log information about you, your computer or mobile device, and your interaction over time with our Services, our communications and other online services, such as:
- Device data, such as your computer’s or mobile device’s operating system type and version, manufacturer and model, browser type, screen resolution, RAM and disk size, CPU usage, device type (e.g., phone, tablet), IP address, unique identifiers (including identifiers used for advertising purposes), language settings, mobile device carrier, radio/network information (e.g., WiFi, LTE, 4G), and general location information such as city, state or geographic area.
- Online activity data, such as pages or screens you viewed, how long you spent on a page or screen, browsing history, navigation paths between pages or screens, information about your activity on a page or screen, access times, and duration of access, and whether you have opened our marketing emails or clicked links within them.
We use the following tools for automatic data collection:
- Cookies, which are text files that websites store on a visitor‘s device to uniquely identify the visitor’s browser or to store information or settings in the browser for the purpose of helping you navigate between pages efficiently, remembering your preferences, enabling functionality, helping us understand user activity and patterns, and facilitating online advertising.
- Local storage technologies, like HTML5, that provide cookie-equivalent functionality but can store larger amounts of data, including on your device outside of your browser in connection with specific applications.
- Web beacons, also known as pixel tags or clear GIFs, which are used to demonstrate that a webpage or email was accessed or opened, or that certain content was viewed or clicked.
- SDKs, or software development kits, which are packages of Olo code that we provide to merchants to facilitate your access to the Services from within merchants’ mobile applications.
How we use your personal information
To operate our Services:
- Provide, operate, maintain, secure, and improve our Services. For example we may:
- Enable you to create an Olo account or otherwise use our Services to, among other things, log in across merchant sites and applications powered by Olo.
- Facilitate orders and payment transactions initiated by you and have those orders delivered to you.
- Personalize your experience with our merchant customers (including for marketing purposes).
- Consolidate and combine information we collect via your interaction with our Services in connection with providing you with personalized experiences.
- Facilitate communications between you and our merchant customers, including via email, text, SMS, social media platform messages, telephone, or any other medium for which you have provided contact information to such merchant customers. Such communications may include feedback, technical and customer support, marketing communications, and information and updates about your experience and information sharing with your social networks.
- Conduct analytics and provide reporting.
- Communicate with you about our Services, including by sending you announcements, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages.
- Understand your needs and interests, and personalize your experience with our Services and our communications. For example, we may provide you with recommendations of merchants powered by Olo in your area or based on your dietary habits.
- Provide support for our Services, and respond to your requests, questions and feedback.
Research and development. Generally, we use the information we collect to identify issues, better tailor our Services, and to test and evaluate, improve, add to, and develop new services. We may also create aggregated, de-identified or other anonymous data from personal information we collect. We may use this anonymous data and disclose it for our lawful business purposes, including to analyze and improve our services, and promote our business. We will process such information only in a de-identified form and we will only attempt to re-identify it where permitted by law.
Marketing and advertising. We and our advertising partners may collect and use your personal information for marketing and advertising purposes, including sending you direct marketing communications as permitted by law, including, but not limited to, notifying you of special promotions, offers, and events. You may opt out of our marketing communications as described in the “Opt out of marketing communications” section below.
Compliance and protection. We may use your personal information to:
- Comply with applicable laws, lawful requests, and legal process, such as to respond to subpoenas or requests from government authorities.
- Protect our, your or others’ rights, privacy, safety, or property (including by making and defending legal claims).
- Audit our internal processes for compliance with legal and contractual requirements and internal policies.
- Enforce the terms and conditions that govern our Services.
- Prevent, identify, investigate and deter fraudulent, harmful, unauthorized, unethical or illegal activity, including cyberattacks and identity theft.
How we disclose your personal information
We may disclose your personal information as described below and as described elsewhere in this Notice. We may disclose your personal information to:
Merchants powered by Olo. The merchants from which you order, including to fulfill your order and facilitate your transactions with them.
Service Providers. Companies and individuals that provide services on our behalf or help us operate our Services or our business (such as web hosting, information technology, payment processing, customer support, email delivery, and website analytics services).
Delivery Partners: Companies that are involved in delivering your orders to you, who may work with us or with the merchants we serve (such as order aggregators and delivery providers).
Affiliates. Our corporate affiliates, for purposes consistent with this Notice.
Authorities and others. Law enforcement, government authorities, and private parties, as we believe in good faith to be necessary or appropriate for the compliance and protection purposes described above.
Business transfers. Acquirers and other relevant participants in business transactions (or negotiations for such transactions) involving a corporate divestiture, merger, consolidation, acquisition, reorganization, sale or other disposition of all or any portion of the business or assets of, or equity interests in, Olo or our affiliates (including, in connection with a bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
Your rights and choices
In this section, we describe the rights and choices available to you.
Access or correct your information. You may review and update certain personal information in your Olo account profile by logging into the account. You can also request to know more about or access a copy of the personal information that we have collected about you, or have inaccurate information corrected, by reaching out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or here.
Delete your Olo account. You can delete your Olo account in your Olo account settings by logging into the account. If you request that Olo delete your account, Olo will delete your account and you will no longer be able to log into or use that account. However, unless you also delete your information as described below, we may maintain a copy of your information on our servers for record retention and risk management purposes. Additionally, Olo will continue to maintain certain information (such as order and transaction history) on behalf of merchants with which you’ve interacted in our capacity as service provider to those merchants. You can contact those merchants directly to request that they delete your data.
Delete your information. Please reach out to us at email@example.com or here to request deletion of your information. If you submit a data deletion request, we will (a) delete the copy of your personal information that we maintain on our own behalf; and (b) disassociate all of your personal information from your Olo account such that Olo can no longer use your personal information for its own purposes. However, Olo will continue to maintain this information on behalf of merchants with which you’ve interacted. You can contact those merchants directly to request that they delete your data.
Opt out of marketing communications. If you have signed up to receive marketing communications from us, you may opt out of marketing-related email communications by following the opt out or unsubscribe instructions contained in the marketing communications you receive.
Non-discrimination. We will not treat you differently if you exercise your privacy rights.
Verification and appeal. We may verify your request by asking you to provide information related to your recent interactions with us, such as the date of your last order. If we deny your request, you may appeal our decision by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have concerns about the results of an appeal, you may contact the attorney general in the state where you reside.
Other sites, mobile applications and services
Our Services may contain links to websites and other online services operated by third parties. In addition, our content may be integrated into web pages or other online services that are not associated with us. These links and integrations are not an endorsement of, or representation that we are affiliated with, any third party. We do not control websites or online services operated by third parties, and we are not responsible for their actions.
We have implemented reasonable administrative, technical and physical measures in an effort to safeguard the personal information in our custody and control against theft, loss and unauthorized access, use, modification and disclosure. We restrict access to personal information on a need-to-know basis to employees and authorized service providers who require access to fulfill their job requirements. However, no security measures are failsafe and we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information.
Our Services are not intended for use by children under 13 years of age. If we learn that we have collected personal information through the Services from a child under 13 without the consent of the child’s parent or guardian as required by law, we will delete it.
You can reach us by email at email@example.com or at the following mailing address:
99 Hudson Street, Floor 10
New York, NY 10013 USA
Additional information for users located in California
This section applies only to California residents. In the preceding 12 months, we have collected the following categories of personal information: identifiers, commercial information, electronic network activity information, and inferences. For more information about the data points we collect and the categories of sources of such collection, please see the Personal Information We Collect section above. We collect personal information for the business and commercial purposes described in the How We Use Your Personal Information section above. In the preceding 12 months, we have disclosed personal information for the business and commercial purposes described in How We Disclose Your Personal Information section above and we have made disclosures for business purposes to the following categories of recipients:
|Category of Personal Information||Categories of Recipients|
|Electronic Network Activity Information||
We do not “sell” or “share” personal information as defined by California law.
Please see the “Your rights and choices” section above for more information about the privacy rights you have as a California resident, how to exercise your rights, and how we will verify your requests.
If you are submitting a rights request as an authorized agent, you are required to submit proof of your authorization to make the request, such as a valid power of attorney or proof that you have signed permission from the individual who is the subject of the request. Please do not provide any sensitive personal information in connection with this request, such as a driver's license or other government-issued ID. In some cases, we may be required to contact the individual who is the subject of the request to verify his or her own identity or confirm you have permission to submit this request. If you are an authorized agent seeking to make a request, please [insert contact method available to agents].
We store personal information for as long as necessary to carry out the purposes for which we originally collected it and for other business purposes explained in this Notice.
Access and Correction Rights of Canadian Residents
We will take reasonable steps to ensure the personal information we hold is accurate, complete and up-to-date. Upon your written request, and subject to certain exceptions provided by law, we will inform you of the existence, use, and disclosure of your personal information and give you access to that information. We may charge a minimal fee for providing such access to you. If you believe that the personal information that we hold about you is not accurate or complete, you may write to Olo at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are able to establish that the information is not accurate or complete, we will take reasonable steps to delete and/or correct the information so that it is accurate, complete, and up-to-date. In order to facilitate a request to correct or update information, we may ask you to provide additional information to confirm your identity. Any such information will only be used for the purpose of confirming your identity and will not be retained by Olo.